OK, so Hilton's new "Hilton Journey's" site is playful, highly branded, and cute. However, there is a lot wrong with it.
- I have a high bandwidth connection. It took a LONG time to load. By long, I mean more than 30 seconds. I expect that on dial-up, but not on my cable modem.
- Every new page I click on has the same loading time problem.
- Even after the page was done loading, the interface was slow. It took a while for the action to develop.
- After all this waiting, at least there should have been a nice payoff. Um, no. I finally got to something that implied that if I clicked on it I'd be able to learn more about the beds at Hilton. I was waiting for something innovative and impressive. All I got was two sentences of text and a small picture of a fairly generic-looking bed. Stock photography?
- The navigation is nearly illegible. It's vertical, the contrast between the font and background is negligible, and the font is very small.
I don't see how this website helps Hilton achieve its goals. They really should be giving people either instant gratification, or a big payoff. In this case, the site visitor gets neither.
Given that the entire site is done in Flash, it's also possible that they won't get good search engine placement for this, unless they took some very specific steps to deal with that issue (I really don't know in this case.)