Our friends at EmailLabs has published a list of 10 best practices for email marketing. Among the highlights:
- Segmentation: Don't send the same email to every individual. People have different needs/wants/desires. Segment your database in intelligent ways to provide compelling offers.
- Redesign for the current inbox: Many email clients block images.
- Focus on the right metrics: Don't worry so much about clickthrough rates. Who cares if people click on an offer if they don't do anything past there. Focus on what REALLY matters - did people sign up for the promotion or take some other action you desired?
- Integrate email efforts with search
- Test and improve: A successful campaign MUST include testing and incremental improvements. Otherwise you're shooting in the dark.